Difference between revisions of "Hacking real life"
(Created page with "== Workshop Hacking Real Life == For [https://ohm2013.org/ OHM2013] == Hacking? == ;hacker :someone who loves to program or who enjoys playful cleverness, or a combinatio...")
|Line 3:||Line 3:|
For [https://ohm2013.org/ OHM2013]
For [https://ohm2013.org/ OHM2013]
Revision as of 18:38, 30 July 2013
Workshop Hacking Real Life
also at http://prezi.com/tspnl7_vnady/
- someone who loves to program or who enjoys playful cleverness, or a combination of the two
- meaningful work?
Hacking Real Life?
As in free beer: free transport, free food, free places to stay.
As in freedom: remove money as a limiting factor
playful cleverness instead of money to
- get around
- get stuff
- find a place to sleep
What else do you need?
(Okay, don't leave if you're married with 4 children, a dog and a mortgage.)
Most houses have a lot of unused space.
- "guest" and "host" are cognates, derived from one Proto-Indo-European root (*ghos-ti-) 
couchsurfing hospitality club
- BeWelcome - FOSS, French NGO, quite democratic
- Warm Showers - FOSS, Drupal, for bicyclists
- Street surfing
Hacking waste: dumpster diving
- Awkward? ~45% of produced food = waste! that is awkward
- Bring bottle of water
- Bring bags etc.
- Don't make a mess
- Markets can be great
- Consider dates, e.g. mass student migration
- Fruit with spots? Jam or freezer!
- Freegans "embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed."  (compare this to GNU manifesto)
Hacking transport: hitchhiking
- Awkward? Most cars are driving around with just one person!
- Yes it works
- It's fun
- Free (as in beer and software)
hitchhiking top tips
- Take the most used route (check google maps)
- Carry a good paper map that shows gas stations
- Be in a good, safe spot
- Stay positive, smile and laugh
- Avoid tight deadlines
- Make eye contact with drivers
- Making conversation with drivers
- Work with the weather
- Types of clothing: bright and onion-style
- Cities are attractors: hard to get out, easy to get into (use public transport)
- Find spots on Hitchwiki.org
- Long distance in Western Europe: stick to gas stations on the highway
Some more hints:
- Communicate clearly
- Don't overestimate your skills
- Don't listen to driver's suggestions
- Get out in time
- Don't loose items on route
- Don't discuss controversial matters with drivers or loose control over conversation
- Don't stick to a gas station
- Don't go one gas station too far
- Don't hitch with two or more at truck stops
- Turn down rides
- Don't fall asleep or in love
- Don't watch a movie while driving
- Don't go with truckers in Germany
- On this subject
(If you're the one with the 4 kids: most hitchhikers are guys like me. Do consider picking me up if you have a free seat!)
- give-away shop
1800: "waste was primarily comprised of human and animal manure"
1957: on the road
2004: random hitching tips spread around interwebs
2005: moved unmaintained overspammed hitchhiker's guide to hitchhiking to wikia
2006: moved wikia to hitchwiki.org, worked for couchsurfing
2007: bewelcome was started (not by me), failed attempt at open sourcing couchsurfing (by me)
2008: trashwiki.org born (stint in hyves offices)
(2010: collcon coined)
2011: couchsurfing finally for profit
2013: bewelcome 45k+ members
hitchwiki budget: domain name traswhiki budget: domain name bewelcome budget: ~1200 EUR/year