Talk:Post Scarcity Foundation
"Post scarcity foundation" carries out the feeling that we dig trash because there is not enough food to survive. While the reason why I do it is because there is too much. I feel like "post abundance" would fit the bill better, but I don't like "post-anything" because of the following: It defines itself through another unrelated concept ("scarcity" here). When that other concept evolves, it affects us.
Yes, I'm a definition nazi. If you agree that a good domain name plays a part in the success of a website, then so are you.
Think of "post-modern" or "neo-consevatism" or "anti-capitalism" ... For a more thorough and philosophical overview of the importance of self-standing definitions, see this brilliant post from H.G. Wells on a pre-internet publication (huhu). (find the phrase : "I have now to tell you of another aspect of this scepticism of the instrument" on the very long page to get to that part of the argument, but you should read the whole thing, it's going to change your life).
I know the term "post-scarcity" is already coined, but a dyslexic moron in a hurry is likely to misinterpret it.
A general term that is self-standing and accurately encompasses the stuff we want to put in would be nice.
"simple life foundation" "make-a-sense foundation" "optimal foundation" "ressource usage foundation" ... I'm sure we can come up with something.
Just saying... Sitarane 10:31, 20 June 2010 (UTC)
I feel we should merge "fields" and "means". I'm a bit mixed up on what goes where. Please someone educate me or I swear I'll do it! :) Sitarane 10:39, 20 June 2010 (UTC)
- Just merge it! guaka 10:19, 5 July 2010 (UTC)
/* Mission? */
- The ones below are amazingly empty, therefore don't say anything to me. --Robino 09:50, 3 July 2010 (UTC)
- for a more efficient society
- make the best of what we have
- maximizing what is limited
- enough for everybody
- abundance for everyone
- Yes, I agree, thanks for moving them over here. guaka 10:19, 5 July 2010 (UTC)
/* Change name? */
- Something more positive!
- why? I really like the name. True, it won't be understood by many people outside of our worlds but is that our target group? --Robino 09:52, 3 July 2010 (UTC)
- Abundance (kinda synonym to post-scarcity:
- per Doctorow:
- Bitchun Foundation (Paolo)
- Magic Kingdom
/* Ambiguities */
Sounds interesting, but there are one two things I'm not sure about:
- Do you want to promote 1. gift economies or 2. alternative currencies? If it's the former, then it might be worth making it more explicit.
- The mention of "democracy" is commendable, but - ultimately - it seems tokenistic. I'd prefer to see something more substantial, like "We oppose all forms of coercion" - or something like that. --Dslc 08:52, 5 August 2010 (UTC)
- It's about the gift economy. I like the concept of alternative currencies, but I've never practically used it.
- Can't really dwell on this, I rather spend time on other things :) Just take a look at how Hitchwiki's been doing for the past 4 years or so. guaka 20:40, 6 August 2010 (UTC)